When it comes to eating healthy small adjustments can mean a world of difference even to the most lackadaisical of dieters. In fact, it’s possible to make healthy choices without restricting yourself to a specific diet plan. Impossible, you say? Think again!
SEE MORE: Lemon detox diet: Weight loss or health?
Saludify has gathered a list of the best tricks for healthy eating–without limiting yourself to a diet. If you’re interested in making a lifestyle change that’s not overwhelming, give some of the below suggestions a try.
The best tricks for eating healthy without dieting
- Use fruit to flavor your cereal instead of adding sugar.
- If you drink juice, look for all-natural to help cut down on sugar content.
- Try not to drink juice or other sugary beverages more than once a day.
- Drink a glass of water when you brush your teeth to help get in that daily H2O requirement.
- Don’t skip breakfast! This meal kicks off your metabolism for the day and prevents cravings later on.
- Buy whole grain whenever possible. This means breads, pastas and anything in between!
- Eliminate soda completely.
- Chose low-fat or no-fat options when possible.
- If you can’t tolerate no-fat salad dressing, look for ones made from canola oil, which Prevention indicates is full of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), a substance important for heart health.
- Cut out the ice cream in favor of frozen yogurt.
- Eat slowly to give your body time to realize it’s full.
- Try not to eat at least 3 hours before bedtime.
- Love pizza? Order/make it with double the sauce and half the cheese.
- When eating out ask for a box right away to encourage you to take half your entree home to eat the next day.
- Before you eat, ask yourself if you are really hungry.
- Always make your own lunch for work.
- Eat food in the right order, eating vegetables first ensures you get the most of them possible out of a meal.
- Eat a healthy snack every 3 to 4 hours to prevent overeating at meal time.
- Allow yourself a cheat day. This doesn’t mean over indulging, but give yourself a day where you aren’t following too many “rules.”
- Crave hot chocolate? Heat up chocolate protein powder instead to avoid the extra sugar.
- Need something sweet everyday? Keep small indulgences on hand, like individually wrapped chocolates. Moderation is key!
- Hide unhealthy snacks in inconvenient places to make you less likely to give in to temptation.
- Drink your beverages with ice. According to Health, drinking cold beverages burns more calories as the body tries to raise the temperature to normal.
- Consider smaller portions of more things, rather than larger portions of few things to discourage over eating.
- Keep a food journal to make you aware of just how much of certain things you eat.
- Use spices to flavor your food instead of salt or oils.
- Make your own flavored water by adding fruit to a jug and refrigerating.
- Cut fruits and vegetables into fun shapes to encourage snacking.
- Never go grocery shopping when you are hungry.
Sound like a lot to remember? There is no need to worry; even making one or two of the suggested adjustments is a step toward a healthier you.