William Levy became a household name when he landed a spot on “Dancing With the Stars” and immediately became dubbed as the “Latin Brad Pitt”. This hottie was making his mark on Hollywood, but where did he come from and where did he start his career?
Here are some things you may not know about William Levy.
Seven things you may not know about William Levy
1. William Levy is from Cojimar, east of Havana, Cuba. When he was 14 years old, he became an exile and moved to Miami, Florida. There, he attended St. Thomas University and studied business administration on a baseball scholarship. He later went to Los Angeles to study acting and continued his acting studies in Miami and Mexico City.
2. Levy isn’t the actor’s real last name. He was born William Levy Gutierrez. He got his name from a friend of this parents that tried to get the family out of Cuba when William’s mother was still pregnant, as he told Entertainment Tonight. Levy is his mom’s Jewish last name, still the actor converted to Catholicism in 2009 in Mexico.
3. William Levy’s first career choice was not to become an actor. He was a baseball fan and hoped to be a professional player! While he was good, that’s the reason for his college scholarship, life had a different path designed for him. He started his career on reality television when he signed with the modeling agency Next Models, but got his big television break on Telemundo’s reality show “Isla de la Tentación” (Temptation Island). Levy was very well known by Latin audiences as a Latino Telenovela actor, but the English-speaking audience is only now starting to jump on board the Levy fan bandwagon. He was in JLO’s video “I’m Into You” in 2011 and everyone’s jaws dropped watching the handsome Levy run on the beach. There was a rumor about he and JLO having an affair around the time Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony were splitting, but both JLO and Levy denied all the reports.
4. William Levy is a father of two with his ex-girlfriend, the Mexican-American actress Elizabeth Gutiérrez. He split with Gutiérrez in May 2011 after eight years of an on-again-off-again relationship. Levy’s two children are Kailey Alexandra and Christopher Alexander. The actor puts fatherhood first and tries to give his children “everything he’s never had,” as he has declared in more than one interview. William splits his time between Los Angeles, Mexico City and Miami, where his children live with their mom.
5. William Levy is a hottie, there’s no doubt about it, so much so that People Magazine named him “Most Handsome” and “Sexiest Man Alive.” People en Español said he was one of the “50 Sexiest Bachelors” back in 2006. And yes, he knows people think he’s sexy and he’s not afraid to show it: “I do not know… it is now that I have come to believe that story, because people say I am beautiful. Actually, I do not consider myself beautiful, I am a normal guy” he said.
6. Despite his ascending career, not everything is glamorous around Levy. He was part of a sex scandal as reported by People Magazine. A woman accused Levy of sexual battery in August 2010. She said she was 17 years of age when they had sex and allegedly blackmailed him to keep quiet. Levy never denied that he met this girl but claimed she told him she was 19 years old. The case was settled privately in July 2011.
7. Other than being in the spotlight, William Levy is a philanthropist and donates his time to fix houses for low income families in Mexico as part of the “Alianzas que Construyen” Televisa Foundation.
So, there you are. Nowadays, William Levy is one of the most handsome Latinos in the U.S., with smarts, a good heart, is a loving father and single! We didn’t know until recently we had such a treasure among us, but we’re sure not to let him fade into obscurity anytime soon, that’s for sure.