With the winner of ABC’s reality diving competition announced, Chuy Bravo is free to openly talk about his incredibly brief appearance on the show. “Splash” may not have had quite the effect producers were looking for but we’re loving Chuy just a bit more for the honesty and vulnerability he showed on screen. An example of the fun-loving comedian in a less-than-strong state was featured in the promo itself when we heard his familiar Mexican accent state: “Seriously, I don’t even know how to swim.” Unfortunately for Chuy Bravo, an injury to his heel made him withdraw from the competition in week two. Now, fans and critics are waiting to hear what’s next for the pint-sized sidekick, so we’re looking at his past, present and future for the 10 things you didn’t know about Chuy Bravo.
What you don’t know about Chuy Bravo
- Chuy Bravo is a cancer survivor. In late 2012, Chuy told Latina Magazine that he had been diagnosed with, treated for and cured of prostate cancer.
- Chuy Bravo’s given name is Jesus Melgoza and he was born in Mexico.
- Chuy considers himself a recovering alcoholic. He admits to having fallen in with a bad crowd and developed alcoholism when he was much younger.
- In 2010, Chuy threw the first pitch at Dodger Stadium. In an interview following the pitch, Chuy admitted that he really didn’t know how to throw a baseball and that Johnny Damon (outfielder) had shown him how to hold the ball just prior to his shining moment on the pitcher’s mound. The throw was actually quite impressive.
- Chuy’s not just short, he has a diagnosis of Dwarfism and stands 4 feet 3 inches tall.
- Chuy has appeared in three full-length films, “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End” (2007), “The Honeymooners” (2005) and “Tiptoes” (2003). He went uncredited in both “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “Tiptoes”.
- Not only did Chuy not “know how to swim” prior to appearing on “Splash”, he was terrified of water! A childhood accident in which he nearly drowned and was rescued by a cousin has instilled in him a deep fear of swimming. He was looking forward to truly facing that fear and overcoming this terrifying childhood experience prior to becoming injured during production of the show.
- Chuy is the first Latino television talk show sidekick in American television history. His role as Chelsea Handler’s assistant on “Chelsea Lately” has made history and paved the way for little people and Latinos alike.
- Speaking of Chelsea, while chatting with Rosie O’Donnell on her show in 2012, Chelsea “outed” Mr. Chuy Bravo as having come from a background in performing in pornography! Both Chuy and Chelsea believe that the opportunity to work on Handler’s show saved him from a potentially dangerous and demeaning career.
- What’s next for Chuy? He’s planning his own comedy tour this summer and will be featuring Latino comedians. He’s voiced that Latinos face significant barriers in the business and hopes to open doors for the up-and-comers!
Chuy Bravo’s bright attitude and quick comebacks on “Chelsea Lately” have helped viewers fall in love with him. As for us, we wish him all the best as he contemplates reappearing on “Splash” next season, if it happens to be renewed.
Watch Chuy Bravo on “Splash”: