We said goodbye to the “Jersey Shore” and we welcome a new reality TV show on MTV, “Washington Heights” at 10 p.m. Jan. 9.
“Washington Heights” is an honest, intimate and entertaining look inside the lives, spirit and hustle of a unique group of individuals as they strive to pursue their passions,” said Chris Linn, executive vice president of MTV’s programming and head of production, in a statement about the series.
The new MTV reality show follows a group of nine best friends (most of whom are Dominican) living, working and playing in the diverse New York City neighborhood of Washington Heights, uptown of Manhattan.
Having grown up just blocks away from each other, they all share special bonds that feel more like family than friends. While fiercely proud of their community, they sometimes struggle to push past the confines of their upbringing in order to carve out bright futures for themselves.
Meet the ‘Washington Heights’ cast
- JP : the group’s peacemaker, JP dreams of being a hip-hop star, he is a motivator and the glue behind this tight-knit group of friends.
- Reyna: is known as a fiery diva, the singer is a firecracker, quick to laugh and quick to anger. If you mess with one of her friends, she’ll mess with you.
- Frankie: A spoken-word performer who dreams of becoming an English teacher, Frankie has snappy one-liners and a tendency to derail her plans when a hot boy comes along.
- Ludwin: Ludwin, who is known for rocking a style all his own, dreams of a career as an artist.
- Jimmy: Dreaming of a professional baseball career, Jimmy has a lot of cards stacked against him. His father has been in jail for most of his life and Jimmy has been on his own since he was 16. Now he’s dating an outsider (Eliza) and it’s causing conflict in the tight-knit group.
- Rico: JP’s best friend, Rico still lives at home. His dreams change day by day; he’ll be a model… or an actor… or … But, as the oldest son, his family needs him to put away dreams and get to work.
- Fred: Rico’s younger brother, Fred is no dreamer. He’s driven to make it in the world of fashion.
- Taylor: Looking more like a preppy cheerleader than a Washington Heights native, Taylor maintains her own sense of style and a different perspective on her friends.
- Eliza: Having grown up in New Jersey, Eliza is trying to adjust to the neighborhood while pursuing her career in fashion.