Erection problems can not only be embarrassing for a man, they can also be a reason for concern. However, as daunting as this event may be, losing erections is a common occurrence among men.
An erection problem is present when:
- a man is unable to keep an erection in order to have sex
- a man is unable to have enough firmness to have intercourse
- a man is not able to have an erection at all
Although all men have lost erections before or during sex at some point in their lives, if erections are lost repeatedly before or during intercourse (more than 25 percent of the time) this is referred to as erectile dysfunction (ED).
According to a study conducted by the European Association of Urology, moderate to severe erectile dysfunction (ED) is highly prevalent among 5 to 20 percent of men.
The number one mistake a man can make is to think that an erectile dysfunction will go away on its own. Erection problems are a matter that needs attention and needs to be addressed in order to treat it properly and get it solved.
Why do you lose your erections?
Erectile dysfunction can have several causes:
- Cardiovascular disease including hypertension, hypotension and coronary and metabolic diseases
- Chronic health conditions such as asthma, problems with your pituitary or thyroid gland, among others
- Psychological reasons
- Prostate issues
- Trauma to the genitalia
- Lack of exercise
- Poor diet
How to manage and cure erectile dysfunction?
- Resolve physiological issues: Before attempting any home remedy, rule out any condition that can be affecting your sexual function by getting a medical exam. Do not be afraid to talk to your doctor about your concerns.
- Psychosexual therapy: Cognitive and sexual therapy can help with ED caused by emotional distress or past emotional trauma.
- Pharmacology: There are medications for ED in the market. Make sure to talk to your doctor about your options.
- Diet: A diet rich in antioxidants and low in saturated fat can help get your health, including your sexual health, back on track.
- Exercise: Exercise can build up your stamina and help your cardiovascular health to improve your erections.
- De-stress: Lowering your stress levels can help you have better and longer-lasting erections.
- Lose weight: Losing weight is not only good for your overall health, it is also good for your sexual health.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can have adverse effects on your health and also negatively impact your sex life. Therefore, quitting smoking can lead to positive sex outcomes.
- Natural aphrodisiacs: Taken with caution and only after ruling out any medical causes for ED, aphrodisiacs such as yohimbe and L-arginine can boost your erections and performance.
Taking action toward solving your erection problems is the best thing you can do to regain your confidence and have the sexual life you want and deserve.