Breakfast, specialists say, is the most important meal of the day. Yet, how many times we skipped it because of lack of time? These breakfast ideas (see below) will inspire you to start your day in a “berry” nutritious kind of way.
But first, let me tell you why milk might be a great ingredient to add to your breakfast ideas and recipes.
Milk has many benefits specially for women, who should be getting 1,000 milligrams of calcium between the ages of 19 and 50. Over 50 about 1,200 and 1,500 milligrams. Which translates to about three cups of milk or yogurt. As for cheese, one and a half ounces.
Although fast weight loss milk diets are being promoted, the word fast and diet should not be in the same sentence. Milk does aid weight loss, but the process should be slow and gradual, so your body gets to adjust in a healthy way.
Top 5 benefits of milk, add them to your daily breakfast:
- It builds bone density.
- Speeds fat loss. Calcium suppresses a hormone called calcitriol, which promotes accumulation of fat.
- It builds muscle and promotes muscle growth.
- It lowers blood pressure.
- It can lessen the chances of dying from illnesses such as coronary heart disease and stroke.
According to the National Dairy Council, milk is packed with 9 essential nutrients:
- Calcium: Builds healthy bones and teeth
- Protein: Source of energy; builds/repairs muscle tissue
- Potassium: Helps maintain healthy blood pressure
- Phosphorus: Helps strengthen bones and generates energy
- Vitamin D: Helps maintain bones
- Vitamin B12: Maintains healthy red blood cells and nerve tissue
- Vitamin A: Maintains the immune system, normal vision and skin
- Riboflavin (B2): Converts food into energy
- Niacin: Metabolizes sugars and fatty acids
Milk has become famous and infamous throughout the years
With it’s pros and cons, studies play-ping pong about the benefits and dangers of consuming milk. In addition, we have an added concern which is animal cruelty, concerning the methods used to extract the milk from the cows and their conditions in factories.
You still have options
If you decide to avoid regular milk, here are some very healthy options:
- Almond milk
- Soy milk
- Oat milk
- Goat’s milk
- Rice milk
Remember, milk alternatives must have B12 vitamin and be fortified with calcium, according to Oxygen Fitness Magazine.
Two wholesome breakfast ideas
Time 5 minutes
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen organic strawberries, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen organic blueberries
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen organic raspberries
- 6 oz. plain, nonfat organic yogurt or organic soy yogurt
- 1 cup Kashi® GOLEAN Crunch!® cereal
In a 6-ounce parfait glass or bowl, layer the fruit alternately, yogurt, and cereal. Repeat until you use all the ingredients. Serve and enjoy!
Berry-licious milk shake
Time 5 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat organic milk
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- Raw honey or agave nectar, optional
Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Add honey or agave nectar to adjust sweetness, if desired.
Top it with a few whole berries, or fresh whipped cream, and enjoy!